Oxfordshire First Aid
We make learning fun...
Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria:
1. Understand the role and responsibilities of the paediatric first aider.
1.1 Define responsibilities of a paediatric first aider
1.2 Explain how to minimise the risk of infection to self and others
1.3 Describe first aid and personal protection equipment required for emergencies
1.4 Describe how to use first aid and personal protection equipment safely
1.5 Identify what information needs to be included in an accident report/incident record
1.6 Explain reporting procedures following an accident/incident
1.7 Define an infant and a child for the purposes of first aid treatment
2. Be able to assess an emergency situation safely.
2.1 Conduct a scene survey
2.2 Conduct a primary survey on an infant and a child
2.3 Identify when to call for help
2.4 Explain what information needs to be given when obtaining assistance
3. Be able to provide first aid to an infant/child who is unresponsive and breathing normally.
3.1 Assess the level of consciousness of an infant/child
3.2 Explain why an infant/child should be placed in the recovery position
3.3 Place an infant/child in the recovery position
3.4 Continually monitor an infant/child whilst they are in the recovery position
3.5 Assist an infant/child who is experiencing a seizure
4. Be able to provide first aid to an infant/child who is unresponsive and not breathing normally.
4.1 Identify when to administer Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) to an unresponsive infant and an unresponsive child who is not breathing normally
4.2 Administer CPR using an infant and a child manikin
5. Be able to provide first aid to infant/child who has a foreign body airway obstruction.
5.1 Identify when a foreign body airway obstruction is:
5.2 Administer first aid to an infant/child who is choking
6. Be able to provide first aid to an infant/child with external bleeding.
6.1 Describe the types and severity of bleeding
6.2 Explain the effect of severe blood loss on an infant and a child
6.3 Control external bleeding
7. Understand how to provide first aid to an infant/child who is suffering from shock.
7.1 Define the term 'shock' relevant to first aid
7.2 Describe how to recognise an infant/child who is suffering from shock
7.3 Explain how to manage the effects of shock
8. Understand how to provide first aid to an infant/child with anaphylaxis.
8.1 List common triggers for anaphylaxis
8.2 Describe how to recognise anaphylaxis in an infant/child
8.3 Explain how to administer first aid to an infant/child with anaphylaxis